Thursday, January 17, 2008


Ever since I can remember I have loved shoes. These vintage styles are so pretty and elegant.... When I worked at the Museum and Art Gallery in the Decorative Arts and Costume Department we had so many like these from the 1800's.
I remember distinctly one beautiful pair of cream satin boots like the ones in the middle row here.. They were embroidered with pink roses .. on the toes and on the back of the heel and had a row of tiny fabric covered buttons up the front. They had never been worn. Absolutely stunning in their beauty and magical when thinking of the year they were made and who were they made for. They were due to go on exhibition in Melbourne and I remember one of the staff had fly over from Tasmania to "take" them personally to the Museum in Victoria.
They were too valuable just to pack up and send.

No comments: