Sunday, September 28, 2008

As I wandered around our little town yesterday on my walk (without my beloved Wilbur who passed away in March)... I miss him so much..... I looked at the green lawns and thought to myself that soon it would be winter and the ground would be covered with snow and ice.
~~
It reminded me of being back home in Australia .. not the snow and ice of course... but the fact that in the summer our lawns would die off and be just a swatch of yellowed and dried dead grass. I commented on my other blog yesterday too ... that I'd seen an advertisement on the telly where they will spray your dead grass ... green... for the purpose of selling your house and maybe striking a bargain because it looked "normal". I thought I'd seen everything till I saw that ad. :-) Back in Oz in the summer if I had a special rose bush or something that I didn't want to see die... and when I was a little girl and we only had tank water which came from the roof when it rained.... we would let our bath water get cold, or the washing machine water... and bucket it out to the plant to water it.
~~
It would be saved and survive unlike the rest of the garden and grass. We were not able to use sprinklers or hoses ..... we didn't have them .... because the water was so precious and could not be wasted. How things have changed.... we take it all for granted these days.
Reflections of the Past ... (greening of our gardens).

No comments: