Saturday, November 10, 2007


These wonderful sketches of clothing give us an insight into what really was popular and what was being worn back in the days when big hats, long dresses and coats were popular. The details are wonderful. I'm amazed at how many different designs there are. Elegant and reflective of a time gone by that is classic and gentile.
I'm not all that sure I'd be able to cope with the bustles of yesteryear, the petticoats, etc .... on hot summer days. *s
I know they had their dressmakers and maids spending hours re-doing their clothes... removing or adding lace, changing the buttons, swapping sleeves, adding ruffles, altering bodices and more ... so they could wear the same thing and have it look different.
I imagine their clothes would not have been cheap. The image here can be seen full size if you click on it. Obviously taken from a magazine .. showing ladies how to alter their last season's clothes.

1 comment:

Gale said...

Thank you Jana....I like to look at those dresses....but I am very happy that we can wear easier to put on clothing now.
hugs
Gale